Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Moving Day

As I type, the movers are busy packing up the 53' United Van Lines moving van.  You should see this thing.  It's HUGE!  Wembly, our cat, and I are hiding out in the small room as the men do all the hard work.  It's hard to watch 10 years of memories get quickly packed away into the truck in just about 2 hours.  I love it here.  I love our house and our neighbours, I love the wildlife that we have each spring and throughout the year, I love being close to family, and I loved my job and my co-workers.

However, there are times when it's necessary to make some changes and I guess that time is now.  Change isn't to be feared; rather, it should be embraced.  For it's with change that we grow and become the amazing people that we are.  I look forward to change.

I'm looking forward the beautiful scenery that Arizona has to offer - mountains, cactus, palm trees, snakes.  Okay, so I'm not really thrilled about the snakes, scorpions, and other scary critters but I'm exited to see new things.  I'm looking forward the beautiful sunshine all winter long and not getting depressed during the Michigan winters.  They're so dreary and seem to be never-ending. I'm looking forward to meeting new people and making new friends.  I'm looking forward to seeing Alan grow in his new position with Fujifilm and getting to know more of his co-workers.  I'm also looking forward to finding a new job and growing as a professional. It's all exciting and scary just the same.

I'm also looking forward to the 3-day road trip that we'll be taking just to get to Arizona.  We'll leave early tomorrow morning and should arrive in Mesa, AZ, late Friday night. During this trip,  I'll get 4 new states - Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.  I'm really getting excited!

However, last night I had a panic attack and thought about all the possible things that could go wrong.  So far, nothing has - thank you Lord!  I pray that our move continues to go as smoothly as it has.

Well, the driver just started the engine on the moving van so it looks like things are packed.  I've never seen a group of such professional and friendly young men working so hard.  We tend to think that our 20-somethings are just making a mess of their lives and not contributing to this world but you might be surprised.  I know of at least 3 young men who have made a difference today and I suspect that they'll continue to do so as they become the men that they're destined to be.  I pray that they do.

I'm very impressed with Frank Hunter Moving & Storage, the local movers that coordinated our cross-country move.  I'm just as equally impressed with Corrigan Moving Systems, the group that loaded up the truck today.  I will absolutely recommend them to anyone.

*sigh* The truck is starting to move now. Poor John, the United driver, he pulled that 53' van down a "No Outlet" road with very little room to turn around.  Somehow, he managed to do so and didn't take out one single mail box.  Pretty awesome maneuvering!

My brain is tired and I'm pretty overwhelmed right now.  The house is pretty empty, except for the last few things to pack in the car tonight.  It's weird, so surreal.  I really can't find the words to describe how I'm feeling but if you've ever moved, you'll probably have a good idea of how I'm feeling.

This might be our last post for awhile, as we'll be on the road the next 3 days, so I'll leave you with some pictures of Michigan from some of our favourite places to visit.  Sure, it might be awhile until we get back to see some of them, but we will definitely get back up here.  Michigan is my birthplace and home for the first 35 years of my life. A part of my heart will always be here.  So I'll close this post with the words from Michigan's state song - Michigan, My Michigan Written by: William Otto Miessner & Douglas M. Malloch.

Michigan, My Michigan

A song to thee, fair State of mine,
Michigan, my Michigan;
But greater song than this is thine,
Michigan, my Michigan;
The whisper of the forest tree,
The thunder of the inland sea;
Unite in one grand symphony
Of Michigan, my Michigan.

tahquamenon falls
I sing a State of all the best,
Michigan, my Michigan;
I sing a State with riches blest,
Michigan, my Michigan;
Thy mines unmask a hidden store,
But richer thy historic lore,
More great the love thy builders bore,
Oh, Michigan, my Michigan.

porcupine mountains
How fair the bosom of thy lakes,
Michigan, my Michigan;
What melody each river makes;
Michigan, my Michigan;
As to thy lakes the rivers tend,
Thy exiled children to thee send
Devotion that shall never end,
Oh, Michigan, my Michigan.

mackinac bridge at night
Thou rich in wealth makes a State,
Michigan, my Michigan;
Thou great in things that make us great,
Michigan, my Michigan;
Out loyal voices sound thy claim
Upon the golden roll of fame
Our loyal hands shall write the name
Of Michigan, my Michigan.

3 comments:

Joelle said...

We pray for safe travels and a great new beginning to this chapter of your lives. We love you guys.

Chrissy said...

Wow! Congratulations! Did you pass through Iowa on the way? You should have let me know and stopped by. I hope you had a safe move and are getting settled in quickly.

Katie said...

Jodi and Alan, I pray the ABSOLUTE God given best for the both of you. I was so so excited to get your card yesterday, and on the phone Jodi you sounded happier than I have heard you in a long time. I will be praying for you both, for the situations, and the needs identified. God has an awesome plan for both of you and I praise him for you both. Send us some sunshine over then next few months !!!!! God Bless and please stay in touch. Katie